Sendmail Woes Not

In my previous post I discussed the issue I resolved with Sendmail on FreeBSD 7. Since I am always testing different configurations with my setup on a test box, I discovered the deeper problem which involved a corrupted /usr/src. To resolve, I did the following…

First, I chose to not install /usr/src (to speed up the install) at initial setup on my test box, I added it later by simply running sysinstall. Then I  loaded the “Configure” option which gives me post-install tasks, then “Distributions”, then “src”. After it loaded all sources, I ran the following commands:

# cd /usr/src/lib/libsmutil

# make cleandir && make obj && make

# cd /usr/src/lib/libsm

# make cleandir && make obj && make

# cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail

# make cleandir && make obj && make && make install

Now, these commands worked perfectly without STOP errors on the make commands. I ran these exact commands previously on my new production box which led to missing “.a”, “.o”, and “.h” files and also exacerbated the SMTP localhost issue. Since this worked on my test box I decided to have a go of it on my production box.

Since I created a new installation and knew that /usr/src was probably the culprit (and no changes occured to /usr/src outside of the new install), I deleted it by simply running # rm -r /usr/src . I then followed the same procedure as before by loading sysinstall. After it completed I ran the same commands previously stated, and this time the make install from /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail worked without any STOP errors.

I restarted sendmail, ran a “netstat -a” and there it was:

tcp4       0      0  *.smtp                 *.*                    LISTEN

Sendmail was working perfectly without having to add the host IP to the mc file, go figure!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *